Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Back in early December 2020, Dick’s Sporting Goods announced that it would be launching a new outdoor specialty retail concept called Public Lands. Ed Stack, the outgoing CEO said that Public Lands would be “different than what you would see with REI” and “very different than what we do at Dick’s today.” But up until now, we didn’t know much more than that.
Except that outdoor industry veteran Todd Spaletto had been tapped as president of Public Lands. Spaletto, who sits on the board of Outdoor Industry Association and has held senior leadership positions at Wolverine Worldwide, The North Face, and JanSport, honored OBJ with his first interview at the helm of Public Lands.
Key topics covered:
- How will Public Lands fit into the specialty outdoor retail landscape?
- How will it be unique?
- How will it compare to REI and Dick’s Sporting Goods?
- How will it live up to its name?
- What brands will it carry?
- What is the e-commerce strategy?
- Will more stores be added?
- And more!
Stay tuned for the extended full-cut of this conversation with Public Lands’ Todd Spaletto on our Straight Talk Podcast.