Test gear for Outside Business Journal
Are you the biggest gearhead in your shop? Become a part of our retailer test team and share your expert opinions.
Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Gear reviews for retailers by retailers. Sound interesting?
Starting next year, we’re launching a completely new way of reviewing gear. While there are plenty of consumer-facing publications writing about the latest and greatest tools to elevate the outdoor experience, there aren’t any (that we know of) by retailers, for retailers. As the leading trade publication since 1984, we want to create content that’s useful for retailers, gives them a voice, and strengthens our community of retailers and brands.
We’re searching for a diverse team of six retailer employees across the country, representing the West, Pacific Northwest, Midwest, South, East, and Northeast. In addition to covering features of the latest gear, our reviews will include retailers’ perspectives on how items will sell in stores: Is there a neat environmental talking point behind the gear that employees can use? Have they noticed customers really digging a certain feature or category, making this new item a sure-seller?
These positions are unpaid for now, but the perks abound. For one, you’ll get to test gear that’s not even on the market yet or comes from a new brand. For those wanting to break into outdoor writing, this is a special opportunity to get mentoring from our editors and share your talent with the greater outdoor industry.
– Work with editors to produce a review every month
– Test a variety of gear while you’re out exploring, and critically evaluate all its features and its potential for success in your store
– Meet deadlines and promptly return edits
– Ship gear back to manufacturers and brands once finished testing, as requested
– Must work at a specialty outdoor store and adventure outside often
– Must have a desire to help other retailers succeed, share your writing, and learn how to test gear
– Proven writing and communication skills developed through personal writing or a store blog, or through prior writing experience
– In-depth knowledge of outdoor gear across all categories (camping, backpacking, hiking, travel, lifestyle, etc.)