Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
This is Outside Business Journal’s live blog covering all the latest news regarding the coronavirus and the outdoor industry. We will be updating this page as news breaks.
We also urge you to contact us if you have any new information concerning the coronavirus that hasn’t appeared on this page.
Outside Business Journal coronavirus coverage
- The Big Gear Show has been postponed
- As retailers open up, everyone faces a new normal
- Three outdoor nonprofits discuss the effects of the pandemic
- Poll: What safety measures will you take when you reopen?
- How coronavirus has affected DEI efforts
- Three retailers discuss how the pandemic has affected them
- Reopening national parks is going to be complicated
- How sales reps are weathering the crisis
- Poll: Retailers, will you require customers to wear masks?
- A creative distraction to take your mind off the pandemic
- Mountain Hardwear rolls out revenue sharing program
- Masks are crucial, but we can’t forget about making gowns
- The Big Gear Show is still on, organizers say—for now
- REI furloughs the majority of its retail employees for three months
- The Outdoor Retailer Summer Market has been cancelled
- Outdoor Research will start making 200,000 masks a day by summer
- Grassroots Connect cancelled and goes digital
- OutDoor by ISPO cancelled.
- Kitsbow uses “lean manufacturing” to respond to the crisis
- Outdoor companies start producing masks for hospitals.
- Should Outdoor Retailer cancel? Take our poll and see instant results.
- The shop whose customers bought $75k in gift cards
- Across the industry, brands step up to help small retailers
- Join this small business owner support group
- KEEN will give away 100,000 pairs of shoes to help during the crisis
- SNEWS’ new campaign to help local gear shops
- The coronavirus crisis: A letter from SNEWS’ editor
- Outdoor Retailer’s parent company has taken a hit
- Evo invents a new solution to assist hourly workers
- Toad&Co steps up once again to help struggling retailers
- Ecomm platform Locally helps retailers through the crisis
- Are virtual events our new normal?
- Podcast: Coronavirus crisis communication, part 2
- A new CDC recommendation disrupts spring plans
- 10 practical crisis tips for independent retailers
- VF Corp. closes all U.S. retail locations
- REI closes 162 stores
- Ski resorts around the country shut down
- Patagonia suspends all operations until March 27
- Spring travel plans upended across the industry
- Petzl America shuts down Utah headquarters
- Everest closes completely
- American Alpine Club cancels annual dinner
- A false alarm temporarily shutters Patagonia in Reno
- Toad&Co provides relief to retailers hurt by coronavirus
- A new podcast on crisis communication during the outbreak
Shows and Events
As shows and events are postponed or cancelled to prevent the spread of the virus, SNEWS is collecting all announcements relevant to the outdoor industry. Click here for all show and event updates.
Brands and Businesses
Brands and retailers are hurting. Some are closing indefinitely. Many have sent their employees home. Yet many are answering the call to help in heroic ways. We’re covering all developments relevant to outdoor businesses as the pandemic progresses. Click here for all brand and business updates.
- To continue using parks and open spaces while social distancing, follow this expert guide from the National Recreation and Park Association.
- Read this awesome, common sense essay by Michael Hodgson about traveling in the days of coronavirus.
- The CDC’s official guidelines for preventing and treating the disease can be found here.
- Find the World Health Organization’s guidance for the outbreak here and a world map of confirmed cases here.
- Daily updates from Global Rescue can be found here.