Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Here’s a chance to test your retail IQ and find out how much you know about “shopping psychology.” We’ll give you the answers next week!
1. Which of the following fields determines if a retail store “works” or “doesn’t work”?
2. What color has market research found makes customers feel like spending money?
3. According to Paco Underhill, which is the worst location for a retail store?
Next to a competitor
Next to a bank
In a shopping mall
On a main shopping thoroughfare
4. What is important about the “transition” zone (the first 15 feet inside the door) of a retail store?
It is the space in which the store’s most popular products are displayed.
It is the space in which a salesperson offers assistance.
Before this space, shoppers do not feel they are inside the store yet.
After this space, shoppers are considered potential buyers.
5. Upon entering a store, most shoppers head in what direction?
It depends on the store.
6. Which of the five senses is NEVER engaged in persuading customers to make purchases?
None of the above
7. Which of the following “theories” helps to determine aisle width in retail stores?
The Invariable Right
The Decompression Zone
The Body Factor
The Butt Brush
8. Marketers plan campaigns to appeal to which side of the brain?
9. According to experts, what is the best layout for a retail store?
Placing the best bargains at the front of the store.
Placing the most expensive items at the front of the store.
Placing the store’s signature item at the back of the store.
Placing the store’s signature item at the front of the store.
10. Which of the following is NOT an explanation for the difference in men’s and women’s present shopping patterns?
Primitive hunting and gathering societies
Left-brain versus right-brain thinking
The female nesting instinct
All of the above
Want to see how you did so you know just how much merchandising savvy you have? Of course you do! Click here to pull up the answer sheet.
Sharon Leicham is the creator of The MerchandisingHUB, the author of “Merchandising Your Way to Success” and “How to Sell to Women” and is a regular columnist for SNEWS® writing on merchandising and marketing topics. You can access all of her columns by going to www.outsidebusinessjournal.com/merchandising, where you will find tons of information targeted at the needs of the independent specialty retailer. You can email us with questions and comments at email@example.com.
For more retail training support and know-how, be sure to check out the SNEWS® Business 101 tools and stories, including our 10-part Retail Merchandising Training series produced by SNEWS®, including a useful online calculator for performing the most common retail merchandising calculations — free to All Access Subscribers.