Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
By Marcus Woolf
For the complete story, see GearTrends® Fitness 2006, p. 12, “Brace Yourself”
Are You Prepared? — A quiz excerpted from the Open For Business Toolkit: 10 questions you should answer …
1. Are you concerned that your normal business operations might be interrupted by a natural or human-caused disaster?
2. Have you determined what parts of your business need to be operational as soon as possible following a disaster, and planned how to resume those operations?
3. Do you and your employees have a disaster response plan to help assure your safety and to take care of yourselves until help can arrive?
4. Could you communicate with your employees if a disaster happens during work hours or after work hours?
5. Can your building withstand the impact of a natural disaster, and are your contents and inventory sufficiently protected so they will not be damaged?
6. Are your vital records protected from harm that could be caused by a disaster?
7. Are you prepared to stay open for business if your suppliers cannot deliver, your markets are inaccessible, or basic needs (e.g. water, sewer, electricity, transportation) are unavailable?
8. Do you have plans to stay open for business, even if you cannot stay in or reach your place of business?
9. Have you worked with your community—public officials and other businesses—to promote disaster preparedness and plan community recovery?
10. Have you consulted with an insurance professional to determine if your insurance coverage is adequate to help you get back in business following a disaster?
>>To download a complete copy of the ToolKit, click here.
Don’t miss the full story, “Brace Yourself,” in the GearTrends® Fitness 2006 issue. To download the full issue, go to www.geartrends.com/magazines.