Dr. Kim Hires is a leadership coach, speaker, and author who specializes in burnout prevention and recovery. After her own journey into and out of burnout, Dr. Kim has applied her learnings to a coaching business to help other leaders through their burnout. She works with individuals, groups, and corporate teams to equip leaders with tools to align their passion, purpose, performance, and resources. Her work enables people to prevent or recover from burnout, reconnect with their “why,” and optimize their joy to become the best leaders they can be—for themselves and their organizations.
In this episode, host Leslie Barrett chats with Dr. Kim about her burnout journey and how she coaches people through their own burnout. Some highlights:
- The dramatic increase of burnout in people since 2020, and how it impacts women at higher rates (0:40)
- The definition of burnout, how it’s connected to your occupation, and signs that someone needs support (2:30)
- How the pandemic has aggravated burnout and put a spotlight on unsustainable practices (6:20)
- The split between individual responsibility and company culture that contributes to burnout, and how companies can impact employees through culture setting (8:10)
- Wisdom for navigating burnout while you’re in it and what we can learn from it (10:45)
About the series
Since 2019, Outside Business Journal and LifeStraw have partnered to share the stories and experiences of women in the outdoors to work toward a more equitable future for the industry. We’d like to welcome you to the second season of Her Voice. Episodes will be dropping regularly as we chat with a variety of women.
See other episodes here.