Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Launched in June, Together Outdoors is a coalition of leaders from dozens of outdoor businesses who work to promote justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion (JEDI/DEI) efforts across the outdoor industry.
On Wednesday, the organization, which is supported by the Outdoor Recreation Roundtable, unveiled its advisory and governance councils. The council members—who represent affinity groups, NGOs, public and private-sector organizations, and academic interests—will work with TO as it “develops actions for organizations, recreation destinations, and outdoor enthusiasts on how they can take meaningful steps to attract, embrace and support inclusion,” according to the group.
Below are TO’s newly appointed advisory council members, who will provide recommendations to the TO team on programming and initiatives, as well as help facilitate educational sessions and workshops for the coalition.
- Ambreen Tariq, Founder, Brown People Camping
- Briana Blanchard, Strategic Partnerships Manager, Access Fund
- Crystal Egli, Co-Founder, Inclusive Journeys
- Jahmicah Dawes, Owner, Slim Pickins Outfitters
- Dr. Jose Gonzales, Assistant Professor in Recreation and Tourism, Cal State University-Northridge
- Lydia Parker, Founder, Hunters of Color
- Syren Nagakyrie, Founder, Disabled Hikers
- Yvonne Leow, Founder, Bewilder
TO also recently appointed new governance council members, listed below, who will assist ORR with providing direction for TO’s mission and values, program design, communications, fundraising, partnerships, and access.
- Bob Ratcliffe, Chief of Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Programs, National Park Service
- Dan West, Director of Public Policy, Rivian
- Danica Carey, Director of Marketing Operations, Seirus Innovation
- Jil Littlejohn Bostick, Head of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Winnebago Industries,
- Kevin Williams, Vice President of Marketing, National Marine Manufacturers Association
- Mary Mitsos, President and CEO, National Forest Foundation
- Michal Rosenoer, Government and Community Relations Manager, Hipcamp
- Mollie Hansen, Chief Marketing Officer, Airstream
- Renee Jones, Senior Director of Marketing, THOR Industries
TO on Wednesday also announced it now has 77 members from across outdoor businesses, a notable accomplishment as the industry looks to ramp up its DEI efforts.
In the coming months, the coalition is also prioritizing the creation of an interactive JEDI/DEI resource library and a symbol for coalition member organizations, destinations, and more to “show their commitment to JEDI/DEI issues and solutions for creating a more safe, welcoming, and inclusive outdoor experience for everyone.”
“It is crucial for the outdoor industry to acknowledge the years of labor by BIPOC and other underrepresented communities who have driven the movement to make the outdoors a more just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive space,” said Gerry Seavo James, coalition lead for Together Outdoors. “Empowered by the leadership, passion, and experiences of our newly formed advisory and governance councils, we strive to build upon those efforts within the industry and greater outdoor community.”