Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Leaders today are learning to fight a new crisis in the workplace, that of mental health. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 1 in 5 adults experience a mental health condition, yet less than half receive care. Mental health conditions continue to be among the leading causes of workplace absence and are associated with high cost for treatments and lost wages according to The Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC). Mental health issues can go unseen and unnoticed not only because they are invisible, but also due to the stigma that surrounds them. 8 out of 10 workers with a mental health condition say shame and stigma prevent them from seeking mental health care according to the National Alliance on Mental Health.
While time outside has been shown to have overall mental health benefits, the outdoor industry cannot rely on our love for the outdoors as a sufficient resource for managing employee mental health. Below are helpful tools and resources for leaders looking to prioritize and better support the mental wellbeing of their people. It all starts with a commitment to take action and a willingness to learn and be proactive rather than reactive in creating healthy workplace environments.
Webinars, Tools, and Support
- Mental Health Toolkit by The Center for Workplace Mental Health
- Mental Health Language Guide
- MHA Tools for Mental Wellness
- The Disability Management Employer Coalition (DMEC)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
BIPOC Mental Health Resources
- MHA BIPOC Mental Health Toolkit
- BIPOC-Mental-Health-Resources.pdf (the mental health coalition.org)
- Black Emotional and Mental Health (BEAM)
- Asian American & Pacific Islander Mental Health Resources
- 9 Mental Health Resources for the LatinX Community
- Native And Indigenous Communities And Mental Health
- We R Native
LGBTQIA+ Behavioral Health Resources
Free Mindfulness Education
- Headspace Guided Meditations and Exercises for the Workplace
- Free Mindfulness Resources by Mindful
- 5 Free Mindfulness Apps
Information on Mental Health
- Mental Health America (MHA)
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- CEO Roundtable: Mental Health, A Workforce Crisis
- The Cost of Poor Workforce Mental Health
- 16 important statistics about employee burnout
- McKinsey Employer National Survey Results on Mental Health
Georgina Miranda is an entrepreneur, management consultant, coach, mindfulness and energy practitioner, and mountaineer athlete. She shares her leadership and transformation expertise with clients globally, focusing on prioritizing wellbeing as part of organizational success. Her own journey with mental wellbeing has inspired her work to help people and organizations eliminate stigma around mental health and develop holistic solutions for healthier and happier ways of living and working.