What did the SNEWS team read this week that other fitness insiders might find interesting? Read on to find out.
- Do some of your customers say they don’t have enough time to exercise? Show them this USA Today story about a true weekend warrior who, while she loves to exercise, works 10 to 12 hours every day, has to get home to make dinner for her family and go to sleep at an hour that allows her to wake at 5 a.m. to do it all over again. So on the weekend, Denise Hrncir crams in as much exercise as she can, from mowing the lawn to hitting the gym. Talk about motivation.
- Who doesn’t need a little added workout motivation? Check out these mantras from fitness buffs on MSNBC.com that you can share with your customers. Some examples: “It took more than a day to put it on, it will take more than a day to take it off,” and, “The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.”
- If you don’t inspire yourself to change for the better, how can you inspire others? That’s what makes Mike Quaintance so special. After he started a health and fitness challenge many years ago, he dropped 37 pounds and started to live a healthier lifestyle himself, effectively leading by example. Check out this News Press story for more information on the challenge.
- Talk about motivation for those boozehounds and Smoky Smokersons among us. Rory Coleman, 50, gave up a life of drinking and smoking after a health scare 20 years ago to live an active lifestyle. In those 20 years, he’s run 725 marathons and a few ultras to boot. Check out this Wales Online story about Coleman’s health feat.
- While we just brought you the news that unbearably hot weather can lead to higher sales of cardio equipment, there are still those customers who are mixing both indoor and outdoor exercise. Show them these tips from Philly.com Health to keep them safe and healthy while exercising in the heat.
- Fitness. It’s something we all strive to have so it’s really no shocker that personal training is one of the fastest growing careers these days. According to this The Day story, the number of personal trainers has grown 44 percent since 2001.
- Workout videos seem to be pretty good competition for you, but you know what they say: Keep your friends close and your enemies — er, competition — closer. Check out this Holland Sentinel story about Amanda Villarreal, a fitness instructor who recently started a workout video website to which users can subscribe.
- While fitness centers are still growing modestly, according to IHRSA, they are facing some serious challenges. This Ledger story talks about how health clubs, which are also good competition for you, have been growing their membership base at a fast rate, neglecting customer service and turning customers off. Sounds like good news for you, retailers!
- Cute alert! Jillian Michaels’ two-year-old daughter Lukensia debuts her new hairstyle in this little Daily Mail feature on Michaels’ love life and her experience as a mother.
- Turns out if your customers just walk to your store, given you have delivery services, they could reap tremendous health benefits. This Science Daily story discusses how just by walking to run errands versus driving, 108 men and 79 women a year in Catalonia, Spain could be spared from death.
Have you read anything interesting you’d like to share with us? Maybe we’ll include it next week’s column with a little shout out to you. Send a link to the story with the subject line “SNEWS Reads” to be considered.
–Compiled by Ana Trujillo