- Outdoor Industries Women’s Coalition (OIWC) recently announces the arrival of Deanne Buck as the organization’s new executive director. With a legal background and 12 years of non-profit leadership experience in the outdoor industry, Deanne takes the reins from longtime Executive Director Sally Grimes, who is venturing on towards a new role with REI. Buck holds a degree in women’s studies from the University of Nebraska and a law degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder. She previously worked with the Access Fund and the American Alpine Club.
- JAM Media Collective, a boutique public relations agency specializing in outdoor, bike, accessories and eco-friendly consumer products, announces the addition of Amy May to its team of public relations professionals. Recently relocating to Portland, OR from Whitefish, MT, May brings years of experience representing top brands within the outdoor community. A graduate of the University of Montana’s Journalism School, May began her career as a newspaper reporter and magazine writer before transitioning into public relations. She is currently finishing her master’s degree in public relations.
- Crispi Sports NA has named What’s UP Public Relations and SOAR Communications as agency of record to support the company with its summer 2013 product launch at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market, August 2-5, 2012, in Salt Lake City. Located in Bend, Oregon, Crispi Sports NA is led by industry veteran Miles Munger, and is the exclusive North American distributor for Crispi Sports IT, an Italy-based designer and manufacturer of high-end technical mountaineering, hiking, approach and lifestyle footwear. What’s Up PR’s Beth Cochran and SOAR Communications’ Chip Smith recently partnered, providing company client rosters with more than 40 years of combined experience in the outdoor, snow and cycling markets. This experience will prove valuable as Crispi enters the U.S. market and begins serving a new dealer base.
- La Sportiva North America, makers of the world’s finest mountain products, announced the recent promotion of Jonathan Degenhardt to marketing operations manager, Chrissy Coffinger to art director, Ian Achey to events and promotions manager, and Everett Russell to field marketing coordinator. All positions were filled by in-house staff to strengthen the marketing team heading into the 2012 OR Summer Market.Degenhardt comes to La Sportiva with over 20 years of experience in the outdoor industry. He most recently oversaw the North American distribution of Movement skis and has previously worked at Scarpa and Neptune Mountaineering. He is now responsible for all of La Sportiva’s marketing initiatives including advertising, media relations and grassroots promotions. He is a skier, climber, mountain biker, and bow hunter. Coffinger has over five years of experience at La Sportiva and is responsible for the graphic direction of the La Sportiva brand including catalogs and the web site. She has a degree in fine and media arts.
Achey has been part of the La Sportiva team for over four years and has been a familiar face at events. He now assumes responsibility for all La Sportiva sponsored events, ambassadors and promotional programs. Russell joined the La Sportiva team in the warehouse and after 2.5 years of experience will now work with La Sportiva’s Mountain Running and ski mountaineering athletes as well as represent the brand at numerous events.
- Kalkomey Enterprises, Inc., an official provider of safety education products for hunters, boaters, snowmobilers and off-road enthusiasts, named Mitch Strobl specialist of business development and communications. Strobl will work to create new business opportunities that enable state agencies to reach more enthusiasts with the information and training they need to safely enjoy the outdoors. Strobl, a recent graduate of DePauw University, started in outdoor communications by interning with the Professional Outdoor Media Association and freelancing for several companies such as huntinglife.com. He has worked as a writer, photographer and videographer with a focus on taking veterans with disabilities hunting and introducing youth to the outdoors.
Have news of a new hire or promotion within the outdoor industry? Let us know at email@example.com–Compiled by Ana Trujillo