Dagger’s Sponsorships Support Adventure and Whitewater Competition
Dagger is sponsoring an array of events and expeditions this year, supporting passionate, motivated individuals and teams who explore their own boundaries and inspire others to do the same.
Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
GREENVILLE, S.C. – Dagger is sponsoring an array of events and expeditions this year, supporting passionate, motivated individuals and teams who explore their own boundaries and inspire others to do the same. Dagger’s 2013 sponsorships show the brand’s unending commitment to waterways from mountains to oceans and the paddlers who love them.
“Dagger strives to reflect the passion found in those who motivate us and who push their limits, whether that be helping others get out on the water for the first time or running the world’s most challenging rapids,” said Jessica Prescott, marketing communications manager for Dagger and Confluence Watersports. “At Dagger, we strive for excellence in every arena – from design to competition to altruistic efforts – and our 2013 sponsorship opportunities illustrate our commitment to the pursuit of performance, adventure, and philanthropy.”
Dagger Sponsorships for 2013:
• NOC Freestyle Shootout – (April 26-28, 2013). Held on the Nantahala River, the NOC Freestyle Shootout will bring top paddlers from around the United States to show off their freestyle kayak skills for a chance to compete at the World Championships in September. To support the event, Dagger will sponsor the halftime show, the Dagger Dash. The winner will receive a Green Boat. Dagger will also have a demo booth available for those who want to try out our boats, so be sure to come by and check us out.
• GoPro Mountain Games –(June 6-9, 2013). The GoPro Mountain Games, held in Vail, Colo., are the nation’s largest celebration of adventure sports, art, and mountain culture. Dagger athletes Rush Sturges, Chris Gragtmans, Max Karlsson, Ryan Mooney, Chase Nobles and Tom Janney will be competing in whitewater events in 2013 and Dagger is sponsoring the Steep Creek Championship and is the official kayak of the Mountain Games. Additionally, Dagger will have a booth at GearTown with the latest freestyle, downriver and creekboat kayaks on display.
• World Championships – (Sept. 2-8, 2013). The 2013 ICF Canoe Freestyle World Championships will take place on the Nantahala River. More than 300 of the best international paddlers will descend upon Bryson City, N.C., for a week to compete and celebrate the sport of kayaking. Thousands of spectators are expected to attend the event and watch the world’s top kayakers duke it out on The 2013 Wave, a world-class competitive feature created by a Wave Shaper. Team Dagger’s top freestyle kayakers, Max Karlsson and James Bebbington will be competing this year.
• King of New York – Dagger is donating the grand prize, a Green Boat, to the series of four whitewater downriver races that take place in New York from July through October on the Black, Beaver, Raquette and Moose Rivers. Whichever paddler racks up the most points in the four races will be crowned the “King of New York” at the Moose River Festival in October.
• Green Narrows Race – (Nov. 2, 2013). Known as the most respected, competitive steep creek race in the U.S., some of the best paddlers from around the world flock to North Carolina’s Green River Narrows to test their skills – and luck – on class V drops such as the famous Gorilla rapid. Dagger athletes Andrew Holcombe, Pat Keller, Jason Beakes and Team Dagger Manager Chris Gragtmans will all be competing in the 2013 competition, which will take place the first Saturday in November. Dagger will be donating a Green Boat to the event, so if you are at the event, be sure to enter the raffle for a chance to win.
• Wizard’s Eye Project – Dagger athlete, Tyler Bradt, is well-known for his descents of some of the world’s biggest rapids and highest waterfalls, but Bradt’s latest expedition has a slight twist: sailing the 44 ft. Wizard’s Eye boat around the world and kayaking on rivers in every port along the way. Dagger not only supports this journey of passion and adventure, but will also sponsor the trip itself.
• Rivers of India – Dagger will be donating Mamba kayaks to the participants to paddle on their expedition across India. Team Dagger member Christie Eastman, Dagger ambassador Susan Hollingsworth, Monica Gokey, and Emily McGinty will lead an excursion to explore the differences between city and mountain cultures’ relationships with rivers by touring four of India’s great waterways including the Zansakar, Indus, Ganges, Tsarap and Yamuna Rivers. Organizations• First Descents. Dagger is providing boats and pro-deal options to this incredible nonprofit that strives to improve the lives of young adults with cancer through whitewater paddling and other outdoor adventures. Help support the mission (and possibly win a Dagger kayak) by attending one of First Descents’ annual fundraising events.
• American Whitewater – In addition to supporting the organization’s efforts to protect our country’s rivers and the people who love them, Dagger is also donating kayaks to to American Whitewater fundraisers throughout the season, including Gauley Fest (Sept. 20-21, 2013), where Dagger will be raffling off a custom Green Boat. All proceeds from the event support American Whitewater’s river conservation and access works throughout the nation.
• Team River Runne
r– Team River Runner (TRR), founded in 2004, works to providehealing to veterans and active duty personnel who have been injured while serving ourcountry. Dagger supports our troops and TRR’s efforts and has engaged in a three year partnership to provide boats to those in the program and booth-sharing opportunities to help promote awareness for the organization at several major festivals.
• Girls at Play – Founded by Team Dagger athlete Anna Levesque, Girls at Play encourages women of all ages to get out on the water. Through kayaking, yoga and camaraderie, Girls at Play strives to inspire women and enhance their lives by making these sports feel accessible, fun, and adventurous. In addition to supporting this organization, Dagger will donate boats to be used by participants.
• Active Nature Adventures – Team Dagger athlete Jason Beakes and fitness guru Kathy Summers have teamed up to create this organization that specializes in integrated fitness training through kayaking and stand up paddle boarding on the Potomac River and surrounding National Parks. Launching this spring, Active Nature seeks to provide exciting and life-affirming outdoor adventures to challenge participants physically and emotionally. Dagger is sponsoring this organization with kayaks for participant use.
Many of Dagger’s sponsorships center around the incredible activities of Team Dagger, and no conversation about Dagger is complete without a mention of our athletes. Our brand’s boats are “team approved,” which means our athletes are at the core of the inspiration and guidance for creating the boats our customers have come to rely on for innovation on the water. Team Dagger stokes the fire behind our brand with their passion for and dedication to moving-water adventure, sense of altruism, and commitment to the paddling community, and they remain a crucial part of the Dagger success, both on and off the water.Check out the “Community”page at www.dagger.com for up-to-date info on all of the events and groups listed above. Also keep up via the Dagger blogand Facebook.
Dagger doesn’t believe in going half-way, or giving “just enough.” In the world of paddling, Dagger is all in, and has been since 1988. From recreational flat-water kayaks to whitewater boats bound for class V creeking and all water in between, Dagger designs and manufactures premier kayaks for all kayaking styles from Greenville, S.C. From the mountains to the sea, Dagger represents the relentless pursuit of fun. If your soul is also one with the water, join the Dagger Community and check out the kayaks at www.dagger.com.
Dagger · Adventure Technology · Wave Sport · Perception · Harmony · Wilderness Systems
Mad River Canoe· Bomber Gear