Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
SEATTLE — This year marks the 68th anniversary of Eddie Bauer’s remarkable innovation and achievement in outerwear. Eddie Bauer earned the title of Original Outdoor Outfitter in 1940, when he invented and patented the first quilted down jacket in America. Now 68 years and 16 patents later, Eddie Bauer is still the first name in down. This year Eddie Bauer features 40 different styles of down, from classic jackets and vests for men and women, to down slippers, accessories and our original ice scraper mitt.
To view the Multimedia News Release, go to:
Eddie Bauer has outfitted more than 40 major mountaineering expeditions, World War II aviators, Iditarod racers, and explorers and adventurers on every continent in the finest down products available. Jim Whittaker, who in 1963 became the first American to summit Mt. Everest, wore Eddie Bauer on his historic expedition and said it best: “Without exception, every article of down equipment we used carried the Bauer label … and it was superb.”
HERE’S WHY EDDIE BAUER DOWN IS THE BEST:
1. HIGHEST FILL POWER The highest fill power appropriate for each garment. The higher the fill power, the better the quality and insulating value. More warmth with less weight.
2. ONLY PREMIUM DOWN Only premium northern European goose down goes into our outerwear. It’s the gold standard. No duck down. No cheaper, inferior grades of goose down. Just nature’s finest from the coldest climates.
3. CERTIFIED TWICE 100% inspected and certified twice. To ensure it meets our highest standards, every lot of Eddie Bauer goose down is double inspected before a single garment is made. We know of no other company that goes to such extremes.
4. ACCURATE RATINGS Unlike some companies, we don’t artificially inflate our weather ratings by adding extra layers of clothing underneath or assuming a high level of physical activity. The only fluff you get from us is pure down clusters.
5. MOST EFFICIENT INSULATOR Ounce for ounce, down is the world’s most efficient insulator. And because it’s Eddie Bauer down, you’re getting the best of the best.
2008 DOWN COLLECTION HIGHLIGHTS:
— FOR WOMEN: The High Mesa(TM) Down Shearling Jacket ($349), 650 fill power goose down with luxurious, buttery-soft lambskin leather exterior and shearling trim. The Yukon Classic(TM) Down Jacket ($99) and Vest ($79) come in 700 fill power offering great warmth and a terrific fit without the bulk.
— FOR MEN: One of Eddie Bauer’s signature pieces, the Yukon Classic Down Jacket ($99) and Vest ($79) with 700 fill power, or the EB800(TM) 800 Fill Power Ultra-Light Down Jacket ($149) and Vest ($99), provide maximum warmth, and weigh next to nothing.
— MORE DOWN: 700 fill power Down Scuffs ($39.50) for women and Down Slippers ($44.50) for men keep your toes toasty warm. Downlite Mittens ($29.50) come in eight different colors and make terrific stocking stuffers. The original Eddie Bauer Down Ice Scraper Mitt ($14.50) has been updated in new colors, patterns and also comes in a new synthetic fur trim style.
About Eddie Bauer
Established in 1920 in Seattle, Eddie Bauer is a specialty retailer that sells casual sportswear and accessories for the active outdoor lifestyle. The Eddie Bauer brand is a nationally recognized brand that stands for high quality, innovation, style and customer service. Eddie Bauer products are available at approximately 370 stores throughout the United States and Canada, through catalog sales, and online at http://www.eddiebauer.com.