Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Bend, OR – Hydro Flask, the award-winning leader in high-performance, insulated stainless steel flasks, has been named the recipient of the Oregon Bankers Association (OBA) 2015 Community Applause Award. In partnership with the Independent Community Banks of Oregon (ICBO) and OregonBusiness magazine, the competition offered the opportunity for banks doing business in Oregon to nominate their customers in recognition of their community service. Wells Fargo Vice President and Commercial Relationship Manager J.R. Wheeler nominated Hydro Flask. An independent panel of judges reviewed each nomination and Hydro Flask was chosen as the award winner.There have been38 Oregon businesses recognized since the Community Applause Award’s inception in 1996.
“In my mind, there is no other company more deserving of this award,” said Wheeler. “They are the true meaning of a good steward to their community and the world. It has been an honor to work with Hydro Flask; their efforts inspire me and all those around them.”
OBA President and CEO Linda Navarro presented the award to Hydro Flask PR and Communications Manager Lucas Alberg during the Northwest Bank Executive Conference in Portland, OR on December 7th. In addition, Hydro Flask received a check for $1,000, payable to the non-profit organization of its choice. The company selected Saving Grace, a non-profit that provides comprehensive family violence and sexual assault services and promotes the value of living life free from violence.
“Giving back to our community is at the very heart of who we are,” said Alberg.“Philanthropy is deeply engrained into our company values and we carry these into both our work and our service to the community around us.”
Examples of recent community contributions and employee programs include:
- 5% Back contributions to twelve charities totaling nearly $130,000 in 2015 (a 63% increase from 2014)
- More than 500 employee hours volunteered through individual and team-initiated outings
- Yearly allowances of eight paid volunteer hours per employee
- An employee donation match program up to $1,000 per year per employee
- The donation of 6,000 products to the Community Action Partnership of Oregon and its 17 Community Action Agencies to help eradicate poverty in Oregon
- Factory second and “scratch and dent” sales benefiting organizations such as Search and Rescue of Central Oregon and the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life Cancer Walk in Bend
- $100,000 donation last December to three Oregon charities; specifically: $30,000 to the Oregon Natural Desert Association to help protect, defend and restore the high deserts of Oregon; $37,500 to NeighborImpact to purchase a new school bus for their Head Start program; $32,500 to Oregon Adaptive Sports to support the purchase of new equipment, the scholarship program, and help fund the Wounded Warriors HooDoo event
Since its beginning in 2009, Hydro Flask has exploded to become the fastest-growing hydration company in the United States. The company recently expanded to Europe and is now providing uniquely refreshing experiences to consumers worldwide.
About Hydro Flask
Hydro Flask is the award-winning global leader in high-performance, insulated stainless steel flasks. Founded in 2009 in beautiful Bend, Oregon, the company’s mission is to save the world from lukewarm. Using Pro Grade 18/8 stainless steel and the company’s unique Temp Shield Insulation™, Hydro Flask food and beverage flasks are stylish, BPA‐free, recyclable, and backed by a lifetime warranty. Hydro Flask strongly believes that great flasks and great causes go hand-in-hand. Through its charitable arm, 5% Back, consumers can allocate a portion of the net profit of their purchase to a charity of their choosing. Learn more about Hydro Flask’s charitable giving at https://www.hydroflask.com/5‐back.
About The Oregon Bankers Association
Established in 1905, the Oregon Bankers Association is Oregon’s only full-service trade association representing state and national commercial banks, thrifts and savings banks chartered to do business in Oregon. More information is available at www.oregonbankers.com.