Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Portland, OR – January 21, 2014 – Today, KEEN, the original hybrid footwear company, announced the inaugural KEEN Effect grant recipients. Designed to support projects that fuel people’s passion for protecting the environment and inspiring responsible outdoor participation, the KEEN Effect received more than 600 applications from 14 countries across the globe. KEEN selected 25 organizations to receive grants totaling $100,000.
“We were amazed and inspired by all of the quality applications submitted – our fans did impressive work connecting us with organizations they are passionate about,” said Chris Enlow, corporate social responsibility manager at KEEN. “We are inspired by the work of these 25 KEEN Effect grantees, and look forward seeing the effects of their projects in the months and years to come.”
Recognized for its commitment to giving back, KEEN starts a new chapter in its Hybrid.Care program, by putting its fans at the center of its giving program. Fans and retailers were asked to nominate organizations in their communities that are doing great work and providing ways for people to get outdoors. The KEEN Effect will multiply this passion for the outdoors by funding the nonprofit’s work and inspiring thousands more to get outside and responsibly enjoy our outdoor spaces.
$10,000 Grant Recipients:
- Environmental Traveling Companions (CA) – Accessible Adventures
- Living Lands and Waters (IL) – 2014 River Clean Ups – Loving Every Minute of It
- Paddle Canada (Canada) – KEEN PaddleSmart
- The Sustainable Coastlines Charitable Trust (New Zealand) – Capacity Building Workshops and Educational Roadshow
- Wilderness Volunteers (UT) – 2014 Wilderness Service Projects
$2,500 Grant Recipients:
- Adirondack Mountain Club (NY) – Summer Naturalist Community Hikes
- ENVIRA, o.p.s. (Czech Republic ) – Responsible Outdoor Volunteering for Environmental Education
- Friends of Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, Inc. (MD) – Discovering the Patuxent by Kayak
- Friends of Nature (China) – Leave No Trace
- Friends of the Forest Inc. (AZ) – Boot it Up with KEEN
- Groundwork New Orleans (LA) – Earth Lab – Learn and Play
- Mountain Studies Institute (CO) – Mobile Mountains Watershed Initiative
- NW Outward Bound School (OR)
- Open Space Alliance (NM) – Get Into Open Space
- Oregon Natural Desert Association (OR) – 2014 Building a Desert Recreation Community
- Outfit Moray (Great Britain) – Explore the Outdoors
- Outside Las Vegas Foundation (NV) – 2014 Grasstop Leadership Training
- Palmetto Conservation Foundation (SC) Interactive Educational Tours of the Palmetto Trail
- Rabbit Island Foundation (NY) Rabbit Island School and Artist Residency
- Raccoon Creek Partnership (OH) – RCP Outdoor Adventures Camp
- The Elizabeth River Project (VT) – Paradise Creek Nature Park – Fostering New River Stewards
- Tonu Jurgensoni Matkaklubi (Estonia) – Don’t Panic
- Urban Ecology Center Inc. (WI) – Neighborhood Environmental Education Project
- Vermont Works for Women, Inc. (VT) – Dirt Divas
- Whitefish Legacy Partners (MT) – Whitefish Interpretive Trail and Outdoor Learning Center
Visit KEEN’s blog to learn more about the KEEN Effect’s 25 inaugural grantees. The KEEN Effect application process will reopen in the fall of 2014 for a second season of giving.
Inspired by a love of the outdoors, KEEN Inc. manufacturer of hybrid outdoor and casual products, including footwear, bags and socks, is dedicated to creating quality products that support the lifestyles and outdoor adventures of active people around the world. KEEN products can be found online and through more than 5,000 retail locations in more than 60 countries, as well as in KEEN Garage retail stores in Portland, Palo Alto, Tokyo, Prague and Toronto, where fans can enjoy the branded experience. The company operations and culture reflect a stand-out commitment to building a strong community and a healthier planet so that all can create, play, and care. Learn more at www.keenfootwear.com.