Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Newton’s first dedicated trail shoe was inspired by Boulder, Colorado’s famous trails
(Boulder, Colo.)—Newton Running, manufacturer of performance running shoes that support the most efficient running motion, is launching its first dedicated trail running shoe, the BoCo AT, this fall. The shoe, named after the brand’s hometown of Boulder, Colorado, features Newton’s unique Action/Reaction impact-absorbing forefoot technology in a lightweight, all-terrain package inspired by and tested on the famous trails that are just a stone’s throw from the company’s headquarters.
“Accessing the renowned trails on Mounts Sanitas and Flagstaff near downtown and the popular Mesa Trail just minutes from Newton HQ, we put the BoCo AT to the test over miles of diverse terrain and climate conditions,” says Newton Running President Craig Heisner. “The result is a design offering the ride and impact-protection Newtonites have grown to love in a package built for variable surfaces and challenging weather conditions.”
Newton Running Elite racing team member Jeremy Freed, who lives and trains in Boulder, says he appreciates the local community’s camaraderie and the trail network as the ideal training ground for road and trail racing. “Trail running is crucial to keeping my training fresh because I don’t worry about pace or distance the way I do on the road or track,” says the two-time winner of the BolderBOULDER 10K citizen’s race. “Plus, I gain a lot of strength by running aerobically over rocks and tree roots and up and down steep hills.”
BoCo AT key design features:
- Outsole employs multi-directional lugs to provide optimal grip on uneven terrain
- The closed-mesh upper blocks out dirt and debris
- Upper materials have been treated with a durable water-repellant coating
- Outsole’s four-lug cushioning technology in the forefoot provides superior impact-zone protection
- Upper features a laser-perforated synthetic suede saddle for a midfoot-conforming fit
- A 3-mm drop from heel to toe provides a low profile and stable ride
- Thick, non-slip laces stay tied over the long haul
- Soft, single-density EVA midsole provides optimal cushioning and comfort
- Durable rubber toe bumper protects toes from impact on rocks, roots and other trail hazards
The BoCo AT weighs just 9.6 ounces in a men’s size 9 and 8.2 ounces for the women’s size 7. It will retail for $129 and will be available at specialty retailers and www.newtonrunning.com starting November 1, 2013.
About Newton Running
Boulder, Colorado-based Newton Running is the leader in performance running shoes that are designed to actively support and strengthen natural running motion. Newton Running’s patented Action/Reaction™ technology provides highly responsive cushioning and protection plus ground feel, minimal heel-to-toe drop and lightweight comfort. Newton Running form clinics, hosted in partnership with specialty running retailers worldwide, help runners learn their natural running motion. Newton Running is proudly committed to social responsibility and supports numerous charitable organizations. www.NewtonRunning.com