Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In


Press Releases

Official Statement – Avalanche Accident on Himalayan Peak Shisha Pangma

Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.


An avalanche accident has occurred on Himalayan peak Shisha Pangma (elevation 8,013m) during the Double8 Expedition. The expedition team, including Benedikt Böhm, Sebastian Haag and Andrea Zambaldi, were ascending towards summit when the accident occurred. Teammates Sebastian Haag and Andrea Zambaldi both perished in the accident.

Our deepest heartfelt sympathies are with the families and friends of Sebastian and Andrea during this difficult time.

We will release more information as it becomes available, but many details are contained in the following statement sent by Benedikt Böhm from basecamp:

In the afternoon of September 23rd, 2014 at 4:30 PM (Nepalese Time), Benedikt Böhm (37) and Ueli Steck (38) began their speed ascent attempt of Himalayan peak Shisha Pangma (8,013m) from Basecamp (5,600m). Their plan was to reach the summit in the morning of September 24th, together with teammates Sebastian Haag (36) (who was beginning his climb from Camp 1 (6,300m)) as well as Martin Maier (40) and Andrea Zambaldi (32) (who were starting their climb from Camp 2 (6,800m)).

Böhm and Steck joined Haag at Camp 1 (6,300m), as planned, at 8:00 PM. At the same time Maier and Zambaldi departed Camp 2 (6,800m) and headed toward the summit. All five climbers paired up below Camp 3, at approx. 7,100m at 1:00 AM on September 24th, and reached Camp 3 (7,300m) at exactly 2:00 AM.

Being the first climbers above Camp 2, the team of five had to continuously break trail through rough conditions as they made their way toward the summit. At 6:50 AM, the team safely made it to a point 100m. below the summit. The team’s collective spirit and motivation were high, and everyone was working very well together and moving at the same speed. The team estimated that it would reach the summit at 8:00 AM.

At 6:55 AM, Haag, Zambaldi and Maier were caught in an avalanche at 7,900m, approximately 100m below the summit and were dragged for 600 vertical meters, over steep glaciers, into another section of the mountain.

Böhm and Steck immediately called basecamp for assistance, and descended to Camp 3, via the same route they had ascended, to attempt to traverse into the avalanche zone to search for the victims. After attempting to access the area from various sides for over four hours, they could not find access to the area and were forced to abandon their efforts.

Maier, one of the avalanche victims, survived the slide and managed to make his way to Camp 3 on the morning of September 25th. He was met there by a Sherpa rescue team, is conscious, and is currently being transported to basecamp for further medical attention. The other two victims, Haag and Zambaldi, disappeared with the avalanche and their bodies have not yet been located.

Please direct all press inquires to:

In North America, to Eric Henderson, Dynafit North America’s PR and Communications Manager, at or 303.444.0446×109

International inquiries, to Maria von Kirschbaum, Tel. +49 89 90 99 31 51Mobil +49 172 899 73 85 at