Top 5 Trips to Give Your Family for the Holidays
And Why a Multi-Day Rafting Trip Might Be Just What Families Need
Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Angels Camp, Calif. — Family-owned and operated rafting outfitter OARS, which has been perfecting family adventure vacations for over 50 years, shares their top five trips to gift your family this holiday season.
“After a wild two years that forced all of us to think about what matters most in our lives, there’s been a significant shift in priorities for many families,” says Steve Markle, OARS vice president of sales and marketing. “There’s undoubtedly more of a focus on spending distraction-free, quality time together with family—and as we’ve heard from our guests time and time again, there’s no better place to reconnect than on a river.”
Multi-day rafting trips are a hassle-free, all-inclusive vacation that give busy families the chance to slow down and decompress while sharing an unforgettable adventure together. From the moment a trip begins, the guides take care of the heavy lifting, including whipping up savory feasts and delicious desserts, leading side hikes, and queuing up camp games for everyone to enjoy. All parents have to do is set up their tent and then soak up this unique “unplugged” time together with their kids, off the grid and away from it all.
“There are few trips where kids are completely cut off from technology, and this was one,” according to Peggy, an OARS guest from Rutland, VT. “We had the thrill of the river to keep us entertained, along with daily hikes and campsite fun set up by the guides (an upside down raft makes an excellent waterslide!). For parents, it’s amazingly relaxing. Why would anyone go to Disney World?” – Gates of Lodore, UT.
- 50+ rapids rated Class II-III
- Towering red-rock canyon walls
- Variety of boat options including oar rafts, inflatable kayaks, paddle rafts and SUPs
- Scenic flight over Desolation Canyon to the starting point at Sand Wash
5 or 6 Days | May – September | Minimum Age: 7 (10 at high water) | From $1699/person
- Lower Klamath, CA
- Fun and friendly Class II rapids through a scenic canyon
- 2 nights with comfy riverside camping and healthy meals
- Warm water ideal for swimming
- Easy hikes, blackberry picking and abundant wildlife
3 Days | April – September | Minimum Age: 4 | From $799/person
- Exciting Class III whitewater
- Warm water perfect for swimming and water fights
- Riverside camping on giant sandy beaches
- Abundant wildlife including river otters and bighorn sheep
4 or 5 Days | July – September | Minimum Age: 7 (12 at high water) | From $1199/person
- Rogue River, OR
- Waterfalls, historical sites and abundant wildlife
- Enjoy Class III/IV whitewater
- Great hiking, fishing and swimming
- Explore a Wild & Scenic designated river
3, 4 or 5 Days | May – September | Minimum Age: 7 | From $999/person
- San Juan River, UT
- Easy floating on calm water and class II rapids
- Warm water that’s perfect for swimming and water fights
- Pristine camps, beach games and delicious meals
- Impressive Native American cliff dwellings
4 or 6 Days | May – September | Minimum Age: 6 | From $1149/person
As family travel continues to bounce back from pandemic disruptions, Markle expects many of the prime dates for the company’s 2022 rafting season to sell out far in advance. To encourage early bookings, OARS is offering an annual holiday promotion. When families book online at www.oars.com by December 5, 2021 using promo code GOBBLE2021 they can save 20% off the full price on more than a dozen popular trips, including select dates on five of our top trips for families this year:
To explore the full line up of family-friendly rafting adventures offered by OARS visit: https://www.oars.com/family-adventure-vacations/
In 1969, OARS became the first exclusively non-motorized rafting outfitter authorized by the National Park Service to run trips on the Colorado River through Grand Canyon. Today OARS caters to active travelers of all ages and abilities with more than 75 unique itineraries worldwide, including one-day and weekend escapes. Each year the company contributes to regional conservation organizations around the globe via voluntary donations and annual fundraising events, and in partnership with their guests, OARS has contributed more than $5 million in donations and fees toward the preservation of the environment and to various conservation initiatives since the company’s inception. For more information on OARS’ eco-friendly adventures, visit www.oars.com, email the company at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-346-6277.