Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Second Annual Event for Active, Outdoor + Urban Design Professionals Hits Portland on May 6 – 8, 2015
(PORTLAND, OR) April 22, 2015 – Struktur Event (Struktur), the creative conference for active, outdoor and urban design, announces the program for its event on May 6 – 8, 2015 in Portland, Oregon. Struktur is designed as a cross-disciplinary event that explores the intersection of user experience, trend research, materials science, and their influence on design. The conference offers a combination of visionary presentations and social events to help advance the design of active outdoor apparel and equipment. Registration is open through May 5, 2015 at: http://strukturevent.com/register.
STRUKTUR EVENT 2015 PROGRAM
WEDNESDAY OPENING RECEPTION
Struktur will kick-off with an opening reception sponsored by leading impact technology brand XRD. The evening will explore the innovations and technologies that drive the outdoor industry. The reception is open to non-conference attendees. Please contact email@example.com for further details.
- 5:30 – 8:30 PM – Opening Reception at the University of Oregon Innovation Lab (Sponsored by XRD)
- 6:30 – 7:00 PM – Terrain Fertile: The New Fertile Landscape in Active Design, A Special Presentation by Janna Stark, Trend Consultant at Promostyl
- 7:00 PM – XRD Design Challenge, A Special Presentation by Dave Sherman, Technical Design Solutions Manager at XRD; Join XRD and its Impact Institute experts in a creative team challenge to learn about building products for impact, style and function. Prizes will be awarded.
- 9:30 – 10:30 AM – Opening Keynote: Leading by Design, Presentation by Allison Ross, Creative Director at Nau
- 10:30 – 11:00 AM – Becoming a Design-Focused Company, Presentation by Jedd Rose, Founder + Creative Director at Topo Designs
- 11:00 – 11:30 AM – Globally-Inspired Design, Presentation by Ryan Hitzel, Founder of Roark Revival
- 11:30 AM – 12:00 PM – Fail Hard: Getting and Staying Inspired, Presentation by Douglas Davidson, Design Director (Bags, Luggage + Accessories) at Burton Snowboards
- 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM – Ownership + Innovation in the Design Industries, Presentation by Johanna Blakely, Managing Director + Director of Research at the Norman Lear Center, USC
- 2:15 PM – 3:30 PM –The Role of Design from A to Z, Panel Discussion with Emily Walzer (Textile Insight), Allison Spahr (Polartec), Jessica Hemmer (Bemis), Star Hoerauf (Design Consultant, Thrive Clothing), Kiersten Muenchinger (University of Oregon); Rick Fowler (Youngone)
- 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM –Keynote: Design Leadership, Presentation by David Sherwin, Director of User Experience at Lynda.com + co-author of a toolkit from frog
- 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Evening Reception at Snow Peak Flagship Store
- 9:00 – 9:30 AM – Stylish Outdoor Gear vs. Outdoor-Inspired Style, Presentation by Andrea Westerlind, Founder of Westerlind Outdoor
- 9:30 – 10:00 AM – Bringing Japanese Design to the U.S. Market, Presentation by Nate Borne, General Manager, USA at Snow Peak
- 10:00 – 11:00 AM – The Modern Outdoors Woman, Panel Discussion with Jeanine Pesce (RANGE), Jessica Cote (K2 Snowboarding), Jennifer Zollars (Mountain Hardwear), Ali Carr Troxell (Headwaters Collective), Bryan Rees (Backcountry.com)
- 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Bags are the New Sneaker, Panel Discussion with Taylor Welden (Carryology), John Canfield (High Above), Martina Brimmer (Swift Industries), Hadrien Monloup (Bellroy)
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM – Gear Sharing and the Sharing Economy, Presentation by Mike Brown, Co-Founder of Gear Commons
- 2:30 PM – 3:00 PM – Hip Camping, Presentation by Eric Bach, Co-Founder of Hipcamp
- 3:00 PM – 3:45 PM – Connecting to the Audience, Panel Discussion with Scott McGuire (The Mountain Lab), Taylor Murray (Shwood), Jeff Lancial (Shwood), Nathan Mack (Giro), Hans Aschim (Cool Hunting)
- 4:15 PM – 5:00 PM – The Future of Stuff, Presentation by Benji Wagner, Founder of Poler
- 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Closing Reception at Poler Flagship Store
To register to attend Struktur, please visit http://www.strukturevent.com. Admission is $595.00 per person. Group discounts and student rates available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details. For assistance with media registration, please contact Kim Rodgers at email@example.com.
Programming is made possible in partnership with event sponsors: Polartec, Bemis, Cordura, Mailchimp, XRD, DriRelease, Portland Development Commission, Textile Insight, Poler Outdoor Stuff, Snow Peak, University of Oregon, Range, Gestalten and Carryology. For Struktur updates, news and registration information, please subscribe here.
Founded by design industry veterans Michelle Rose and Sam Ward, Struktur is the first creative conference for the active outdoor design industry. Rose and Ward launched the event to support and nurture the talented community of designers working at the intersection of creativity, business and entrepreneurship. Struktur takes the profession of outdoor design beyond the usual focus of trend, features and function into the realm of education, leadership and storytelling. The event is a new forum to share ideas, overcome challenges and be inspired while connecting with a diverse group of talent as they share experiences with new processes, techniques and materials. For additional information, please visit strukturevent.com, or follow @StrukturEvent on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.