Timbuk2 Commemorates 25th Anniversary with Launch of a New Classic Messenger Bag for Spring 2014
Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
SAN FRANCISCO (July 24, 2013) – Timbuk2, the original San Francisco bag company, marks its 25th anniversary in 2014. To celebrate, the pioneer and reining leader of the messenger bag category is unveiling a new Classic Messenger Bag at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market (Booth #34171). Over the past 25 years, Timbuk2 has dominated the messenger bag category with more than 40 percent of market share in the Sports/Outdoor Market*. To commemorate its birthday, the company will once again lead the charge of the messenger bag category with the launch of a completely restyled Classic Messenger featuring a cleaner, more sophisticated aesthetic, next level functionality never before seen in a messenger bag, and a significantly lighter fabric that still stands up to Timbuk2’s lifetime warranty.
“We know that consumers have changed over the years and Timbuk2 has evolved with them by introducing everything from a laptop messenger to a messenger with a power supply unit to a camera messenger bag, and more,” said Timbuk2 CEO Mike Wallenfels. “For the past 25 years, we’ve listened to customer feedback, conducted countless focus groups and done endless research to deliver bags and accessories with the highest quality and functionality paired with style. We’re thrilled to unveil the newest generation of our tried and true Classic Messenger to celebrate this exciting milestone.”
Timbuk2 is a San Francisco based bag company that pioneered the messenger bag and is known for legendary durability and custom manufacturing. Founded by a San Francisco bike messenger, Timbuk2 brought the world its first online customizer and has continually manufactured outrageously durable, made to order bags in San Francisco since 1989.
Born out of customer feedback, rigorous user testing, and 25 years of expertise, the new Timbuk2 Classic Messenger is designed for both function and style. Highlights include:
- NEW Cordura 940D Endurance Nylon – Timbuk2 is going back to its original fabric after years of using 1680D Ballistic Nylon. Now offering Cordura fabric featuring higher tear strength and better water repellency, the new Classic Messenger is 25 percent lighter and twice as strong than the previous version.
- NEW sizing and stylized design are in line with today’s urban aesthetic.
- Double-loop CAM Buckle – Easy fit adjustment while eliminating excess webbing.
- Better Comfort – Fully adjustable shoulder strap with a permanent, ambidextrous, super comfortable air mesh strap pad.
- Better Weather Proofing – Corner flaps fold in place to keep water and weather out.
- Better Organization – Internal organizer pockets distributed throughout the main compartment for a balanced comfortable carry.
- Smart Pockets – Internal water bottle pocket and internal slash pocket for a laptop, ipad or documents.
- NEW Easier Portability – Low profile top grab handle for easy get-up-and-go.
The Timbuk2 Classic Messenger is available in Black, Night Blue/Pacific/Night Blue, Diablo, Carbon Twill, Confetti, Dusk Blue Surf Stripe, Dark Brown/Black, Tusk/Dark Brown, Caddyshack, Cobalt Sunset Stripe, and Tropical Mist Pink. The retail price is $79 (XS), $89 (S), $99 (M), and $109 (L).
To support the launch of the Timbuk2 25th Anniversary Classic Messenger, Timbuk2 will be hosting a variety of events and campaigns during 2014, including “25 Years of Messengers,” profiling consumers with old and young Timbuk2 messenger bags from all over the world, Facebook photo contests and a 25th Birthday Party in San Francisco. Follow Timbuk2’s blog for more details in the coming months at www.timbuk2.com/blog or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/timbuk2.
The Timbuk2 Spring 2014 line is available at specialty retailers and www.timbuk2.com in February 2014. For more information about Timbuk2, visit www.timbuk2.com.
*Leisure Trends, 2012
Timbuk2 is a San Francisco original that pioneered mass customization and popularized the messenger bag. Committed to inspiring responsible, urban mobility, Timbuk2 products are designed to last a lifetime and therefore known for legendary durability. Born and bred in San Francisco bike messenger Rob Honeycutt’s garage in 1989, Timbuk2 has continuously manufactured made-to-order, extremely durable products in San Francisco for nearly 25 years. Timbuk2 products are sold at specialty retailers and online atwww.Timbuk2.com.
MADE PR – Defne Altan – 415-786-9613 – email@example.com